20141114

Blessed benefactor!


Frontispiece


This morning an interesting looking packet arrived in the post. Inside, carefully wrapped in brown paper, was a copy of This is my England and other poems by Vivian de Sola Pinto that I had mentioned in a previous post, together with some pamphlets by the same author who was evidently a friend of the original owner.

To some this will no doubt be dismissed as romantic slush, but I am a bit of a romantic at heart and anyway this book, even just the outer cover, reminds me so much of my childhood. And my childhood, though distant and not so well remembered as I would like, is still a treasure to me and I don't mind what preacher would teach otherwise about forgetting the past, etc.

That he would dedicate the anthology to his sons says something about the man that I might elaborate on in a future post.

Here are the first two poems. I don't have time just now to post any more so, suffice it to say, many thanks to whoever sent me this gift.







No comments:

Post a Comment