20200829

I climbed Benbulbin


My track: 7.1 miles elevation gain 521m

I got a bit lost on the way to the access point and a helpful local man gave me directions to Luke's Bridge and told me that on no account was I to climb Benbulbin as it would be too dangerous with the recent rainfall.  However on parking the car it was evident that numerous others were climbing so I dismissed his advice and set off, and was glad I did.


Luke's Bridge, seen looking down from the top

Looking down one of the many fissures

The relatively flat top

Looking back on the way down

The inscription on the bronze plate affixed to the triangulation pillar reads:

Kevin Myers
12.12.74 - 7.7.2002
Passed on in the middle of living his dreams
Cheers to our mate kev
Great memories live on
Love from
Trav Beth Russ Tracy Wrenny
Steve Nick Viv Amy
and all your aussie mates

That he came from Australia is evident. But what were his dreams? - and how did he die: was it on this mountain?  Sadly Google could tell me no more so I was left wondering. 

The climb and views from the top of this unusual mountain were awesome, ecstatic almost. Marred only by the many other hikers attempting it, with their hiking gear, many layers of clothing, boots and sticks, but none barefoot or lightly clad as I was. But we coexisted amicably. 

And what are my dreams? And will they be of sufficient consequence to live on in anyone else's thoughts should I decease? And does it matter anyway?

Although it mattered to me enough to wonder and to write this post that this man, otherwise unknown to me, should have friends loving enough to erect this epitaph on having his dreams so abruptly extinguished.




No comments:

Post a Comment