20200529

The physiology of barefoot running

A short note for would-be Barefoot Runners and Others.

I get cracks in my feet and hands when my skin is dry. I had had an irritating but not deep crack in my right big toe for several days before my Table Mountain adventure, and because of it I toyed with whether to go or not. Hence the green/yellow insulation tape "plaster" in the photo of my feet, and that was the second application (I carry a roll with me on such jaunts). The next time I looked down at my feet the "plaster" was gone, and yet I didn't feel any discomfort, so it remained so until I got back home.  But after a cup of tea and a long shower, the irritation returned.

Similarly, sharp stones are always uncomfortable but one survives... but if I pause for a drink or a rest, when I set off again, almost however short the pause, my feet complain overly for the first few minutes, and then they largely appear to give up complaining.

It's as if the body adjusts - what used to hurt becomes just mild discomfort, by sheer necessity I suppose.

This principle should be an encouragement to would-be barefoot runners or, indeed, to anyone anticipating an activity that would seem nigh impossible.  Persevere. The human body is an amazing machine and it will do its utmost to keep you safe.  Of course there are limits, but most of us rarely meet let alone exceed those limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment