20200403

Tractor puncture



Some while ago our tractor was used to heap up a pile of wood and got a puncture in the front offside tire. It's a small tractor and not 4-wheel-drive, so the front wheels are not that large, but still larger than a car's. Using my bottle-jack I raised the front axle, put it on blocks and removed the wheel-nuts using a 1/2" socket wrench extended with some 1" square section steel I found in the barn. The intention was from someone to take the wheel to the tire shop in Blessington, but then the latest coronavirus restrictions put a stop to that. Which meant no tractor for however long...

I could have given into the rule of the virus at this point, but that's no way to act in an apocalypse. So this afternoon I set to work. I filled a large tub with water and verified that there was indeed a puncture - air was coming out around the valve which suggested there was an inner tube. And, bicycler that I am, I had the means to repair an inner tube. But I couldn't shift the outer tire. The internet reminded me that the outer gets stuck to the rim so I fixed up a 4"x2" lever and with that and a lump-hammer I managed to break the seal. It took an amazing amount of force. This had to be done both sides.

Next I needed tire levers. At the barn I found a 3' length of 2" x 1/2" steel bar which looked promising. First I ground the square-cut end to round off the sharp edges. I wanted to bend the last couple of inches - so I lit the Turboburn boiler a with a pile of dry hardwood chunks and had the fan at maximum, waited till yellow-hot embers, and stuck the bar in. After a while it came out red-hot and bent easily under lump hammer blows.  I also had a couple of pry bars as secondary tire levers.

Starting with the valve uppermost, and on the opposite side to the valve, I needed the full 3' length to get enough leverage to prise the rubber over the rim, but eventually I did it. Taking care not to hurt the inner tube.

With a couple of offcuts of 4"x4" timber under the tire to lift it above the rim, I extracted the inner tube. I found the puncture with my tub of water, and did the repair using a large patch about 1.5" diameter. Testing proved it was sound and there were no other leaks.

Now to push the inner into the outer with valve stem poking through the hole, and getting the outer tire back on again. Once again I needed the 3' bar in addition to my larger pry bar, but it went on and after filling with air (we have a compressor) I took it to the barn to reunite with the tractor. No problems there. Then I rode the tractor in triumph down to the woodshop to top up the air pressure  and Bob's your uncle. Tomorrow I shall go see if the tire has kept its pressure.

Which only goes to show that all manner of things one once thought were only for the professionals are actually possible with a bit of brain and a lot of grunt. And the internet for encouragement.

We shall not give into the virus.

Though he slay me, I will hope in him; yet I will argue my ways to his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment