20191029

Is it OK not to live in a house?

For well over a year there was a travelling family living in a caravan parked just off the road by the roundabout going into Naas from Ballymore. Complete with garden shed and, during the festive season, their own Christmas tree. And they didn't get moved on by the Guards. The travelling community appears to have certain unwritten rights of domicile anywhere, here in Ireland. I am pretty sure that if I holed up beside a busy road I'd be moved on.

And then I read this editorial about a Somali woman and son who have lived on a bench in South London for four years.

I am impressed by the care the local council are giving them and somehow glad that they have been allowed to go on living this way, for they are not hurting anyone. But again I wonder what would happen if you or I decided to do the same. You'd need some stick-ability.

Because I too have wondered from time to time about some sort of alternative living arrangements. Like one of these "tiny homes" or even a caravan.

No comments:

Post a Comment