20190903

Hackpen Hill and wild swimming

My goal: to top my other recent Willand runs, scale Hackpen Hill and return via Culm valley for its beauty and a wild swim.


Hackpen Hill and its footpaths to Culmstock (top left)

My track: 14.2 miles, elevation gain 533m, average moving 5.46mph

Hackpen Hill was a bit disappointing but the descent and over-fields footpaths to Culmstock satisfied. I love running bare foot through grassy fields. Warm rain would have heightened the experience but you can't have everything.

The River Culm is the longest tributary to the River Exe and is responsible for place names Uffculme, Culmstock, Cullompton, Culm Davy and such like. And it flows past Willand hence my attraction.


River Culm catchment - I swam somewhere inside the yellow circle

As usual, my pictures are in reverse chronological order and can be clicked to enlarge.

My wild swimming hole (exact location secret)

Why is it called (naked) wild swimming? It makes swimming pools sound like the norm which I strongly contest because surely swimming in lakes, rivers and the sea came first. And anyway I hate swimming pools.  Kate Rew, who hails from the River Culm area, author of Wild Swim, would be proud of me.

Hunkin Wood thingummy

and the poem thereon by Elizabeth Rapp

Water meadow between Uffculme and Culmstock

River Culm at Culmstock

Culmstock parish church

Wondrous grassy footpath to Culmstock

The footpath took me past this neat thatched cottage

Footpath and style to next field

More footpath with Culmstock in the distance

Steep descent from Hackpen Hill

View from Hackpen Hill summit

Early morning milking procession

No comments:

Post a Comment