20171123

The evils of light

I know I've posted about light pollution before, but the other day at lunch the two women sharing my table were lamenting how hard it was to see along the road at night now that the neighbours had not had their outside lights on recently. I could hardly help myself interjecting how, for me, such lights actually made it harder to see. One of them said it was amazing when I pointed out I could see better without the lights.  Does this mean my visual purple is much better than average? I can hardly believe this. This morning I was taking my breakfast at around 0730 as it was starting to get light outside. Quite light enough for me to consume my cereal and tea. Shortly after I am joined by another community member and, wham, on goes 6 glaring ceiling spot-lights. Why? I asked - because it's dark and I cannot see, he says. Can this really be true? Do They really prefer the harsh, brilliant artificial light to dawn?

And so I was please when this morning's BBC-news offering included this article listing various evils associated with increasing light pollution across the globe and writing "Human vision relies on contrast, not the amount of light, so by reducing contrast outdoors - avoiding glaring lamps - it is actually possible to have improved vision with less light."

No comments:

Post a Comment