20171026

Community is...

...finding lights left on unnecessarily.



And electric room heaters, radiators, the commercial toaster, computers, chargers, and the hot water tap running... Things that cost money but not immediately. Things that are splitting hairs to some folk but to others, those that have perhaps been brought up more frugally, a crying waste. Of course it is always Other People who leave things turned on - it doesn't count if I do it myself.

At least we are gradually replacing our lamps with low-energy equivalents.

Light pollution: my morning runs are sadly now in the dark. I can see perfectly well enough providing there are no bright lights. I stop and shield my eyes when a car passes (I wear a hi-vis jacket and aim my flash-light at the driver), but I can hardly stop when passing Certain Houses that are flood-lit - why waste all that electricity, I ask?

Come Christmas it gets worse, with brightly lit trees et cetera to avoid, and Christmas lasts as least a month for such purposes. Why leave them on all night? Do people have money to throw away?


No comments:

Post a Comment