20170829

Am I mad or is it The Others?

Went across the yard to get a screwdriver or something and this guy was repeatedly raising enormous weights and throwing them down - the ground vibrating under my feet with the impact. Later same gent upside down pushing his body up and down against a wall board in a manner that would have exhausted me in seconds. This evening I pass a girl on the stairs, panting with exertion, and dressed in strange garb, carrying a digital weighing scales for some purpose beyond my ken. We (the community at large) provided a room for Their equipment, but They have long outgrown that and taken over the byre (awaiting renovation) and want more. The byre is besmirched with ropes hanging down, boards against the wall, soft mats, strange steel frameworks, and of course a plethora of weights and bars. Not to mention the treadmill in the basement of the house proper. This fad involves a significant proportion of the folk who live here. I say "fad" because it is a relatively recent phenomenon. More recent than my barefoot running for example. Although I would deem even that fairly recent. I hope for Their Sake that it is more than a fad (because fads come and go).

Do These Folk really need to do all this stuff? Girls with muscular arms. It is an obsession far beyond my barefoot running. And it occupies so much time, time when I would have thought They had other stuff to do but who am I? And costs so much in equipment: and now we are glibly talking about spending a huge sum on a purpose built gym, though we have not finally agreed on that. And why do They have to wear such strange clothing to do these stunts? And how is it that when a job that involves lifting needs done, these Folk mysteriously are not to be found? I suppose at least this gives me the opportunity to exercise my own biceps.

No comments:

Post a Comment