20170717

Switzerland run #3


I travelled anticlockwise, total 12.1 miles

My third barefoot run was on Monday morning, after purchasing stocks of Swiss chocolate at Denners and figuring out how to store my homeward boarding passes on my phone-less Smart. The primary goal was to investigate the wooded hills overlooking Zürich. The first hill I aimed for is apparently called Käferberg at 571m. The lake is 406m above sea level so not much of a hill, but worth exploring all the same.

Whilst seeking an entrance to the network of wanderwegs covering the hills I found myself at a dead end facing a boar. I hastily retraced my steps.

A boring photo

From near the Käferberg summit looking NW

Lake Zurich in the distance

A mill on the Limmat

Hill'ed out, the next place of interest was the river. Whereas others may go to cities to ogle at buildings or spend money in shops and restaurants. I wanted to explore the Werdinsel island between the mill race in my photo and the Limmat proper, but there was no bridge on this side and by the time I had ran further to find the first bridge I was tired enough to give it a miss. Having checked it out since, I wish I had, because the island includes the Flussbad Au-Höngg a public swimming area apparently renowned for naked swimming.  Not that I would particularly want to swim naked in company.


Crossing the Limmat by footbridge

Handy boardwalk avoided the sharp stony footpaths

Bridge over Limmat to Werdinsel island

Whilst I agree that Switzerland is tops when it comes to public transport and its amazing network of signposted wanderwegs, I have this much against them - many of the paths are dressed with sharp stones that do not make my feet happy.

River'ed out the next point of interest was the railway. My route had been vaguely planned to cross over the railway rather than under it as in the outward journey, and I was not disappointed. According to Wikipedia Switzerland not only has the world's most dense railway network but it is also world leader of kilometres travelled per inhabitant and year. The gauge is standard.


Looking towards Zürich Hauptbahnhof (Zürich HB)

Ditto, a bit further across the bridge

Ditto, even further across the bridge

And a map of what we are looking at...

Not the double slip in the second photo and, generally, the gentle radius on all the points - as precise as a Swiss watch!


Kate's apartment - imagine Swiss cheese on the table

On returning to the apartment Kate was there waiting for me having managed to skip work somehow. So after refuelling with Swizz cheese and bread we walked together to the lake. But pictures from that walk will have to wait for another post.




No comments:

Post a Comment