20170121

Climping camp

Climping is a village on the south coast of England near Littlehampton. It must have been before I went to college so maybe I was about 17 that I volunteered to be a junior leader in a Christian children's camp there. The camp was held every year and was run by an evangelist from, I think, the brethren movement. We had to call him "Commy" and his side kick "Adjy". I have a few memories so I checked out on-line maps to see if I could recognise the site.

Climping

I am pretty sure it was held in that small triangular field I have highlighted. The round, boy-scout type tents were in a line down the left hand side. The tent I was assigned to was towards the bottom.
There is a farm building at top right and this is where meals were served and meetings held. I think the camp was boys only but the cook was an older woman, maybe recruited from a local church.

Each tent was home to maybe eight boys including a "leader" and "junior leader". Soon after the camp started Commy took me aside and told me my leader had been sent home for some indiscretion so I was now in charge of my tent-full. I could only guess what he had done wrong. Promoted meant making sure none of my minions got lost, comforting the home-sick, leading prayers at bedtime. One of my lot had this thing of having to count all his toes before going to sleep, I suppose to make sure they were all there. This was a ritual which he carried out in full view of all of us which caused some amusement.

We each were responsible for our own plate and cutlery and had a cubby hole to keep them in. Until caught, one boy avoided unnecessary work by returning his utensils unwashed to his cubby hole - after all it was only his own germs. Based on his example I now often make an office tea mug last many days between washes.

I remember there was a short walk between farm fields and over a small stream to get to the beach and this memory also supports my supposed site.

David Iliffe

So then I wondered who the evangelist was (we only knew him as "Commy") and have found some references to a likely candidate in a David Iliffe who died recently.

Littlehampton mourns the death of kind-hearted preacher David Iliffe, see also here and here and here.

3 comments:

  1. Commy - George Lihou
    Adjy - Ian Coombes?
    Cook ? Gallant
    Yes that is the field and when I went as a camper it was mixed
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many a happy time at climping camp. my dad was an officer there. We also went as kids and had trips there from parkside evangelical church. As for Mr Iliffe what guy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many happy memories of Climping Camp. We were packed off each summer for three or four years running. Our 'adj' was a cool Cambridge student who taught us rugby skills. We also played a game called 'crocker' which was basically softball using a rugby ball. Our spell at Climping included outings to Brighton (where we ran riot in an unsupervised melee) and Arundel, the destination of a long walk. The weather always seemed sunny and we ended many days with a camp fire and cocoa. I think we had cold showers (which were rarely used as we preferred to bathe in the sea). Happy days. The main building - a kind of Nissen hut where we ate our meals - was still there when I revisited ten years ago.

    ReplyDelete