20160423

Mountain barefoot




I've hiked parts of this route before but never tackled the whole as a "run" starting from base. Not that I ran up the mountain - I wish I could!  Something went wacky with the GPS whilst climbing.

Stats: 10.55 miles (19km), 12:46 min/mi (4.7mph) time 2:14:46. Barefoot of course.

I followed the lake-shore for starters: it was sandy until the corner where it looks like I swam (I did not: the tide is out at present). But then it became increasing stony and I whacked my toes several times. I intended to join the road at "Jonathan's bay" but passed it without realising, so followed the next water course which involved several fences and other minor difficulties. Then past the Ballyknockan quarry and straight up to the cairn atop Silsean (698m), one quick loop around the cairn (hardly visible on the map) then down via the back road behind Knockalt.

You can enlarge the images by clicking on them.

The corner I cut

Ballyknockan from the corner, Silsean in the distance

The watercourse I followed

Ballyknockan from the quarry road

Doubtless an essential part of the quarry works

Looking back, a third of the way up

Half way up - can you see the hang glider?

I live somewhere over there

The hang glider is clearly visible at horizon level, centre

The cairn at the top, which I circumnavigated

On the way home

In Valleymount






No comments:

Post a Comment