20151115

Mediocre



"Well, sir," said the Cabby very slowly, "a chap don't exactly know till he's been tried. I dare say I might turn out ever such a soft 'un. Never did no fighting except with my fists. I'd try -that is, I 'ope I'd try - to do my bit."

Mediocre - adj. of only average quality; not very good.

Thus, by definition, most people are mediocre. Me too. "He's putting himself down again", I hear you say or, "talking about himself again"... Well, it is my blog and you do not have to read it. Anyway I am just saying what's true. I might be a jack of all trades but I am master of none. I think my dad was much the same so maybe he's to blame.

I love (some) music but my understanding, repertoire and ability is very limited.

I love good food and even once cooked a meal in a startup restaurant. But maybe because I don't like stuff one is meant to like (under-cooked cow, sea-bugs, broccoli, olives...) I could never become a chef.

I love making or mending things but I don't have the patience to become a craftsman.

I enjoy running and the solitude and time with God it affords, this being the only "sport" I have ever found remotely enjoyable let alone been able to do. But even at school I clocked in only average in the annual cross country race, and nowadays youngsters whiz past me on foot or bike.

True, I excelled in Physics and Maths at school, left Oxford with honours and a got prestigious engineering job but even there my abilities were eclipsed by that of some of peers.

Since then I've earnt a living doing contract design work but I'm not rich yet. And I thought I was good at programming until I read about SOLID.

I thank God for my four wonderful children and what they have achieved, each experts in their field, but, although I meant well, I cannot take credit and sometimes I cringe when I look back.

I get involved in our local church out of what I hope is a right desire but only God knows how effective this is for I don't see much evidence.

Not that I'm complaining, being happy enough to let the world go by. Maybe if I had persevered at music, or tackled post graduate work at Oxford, or not resigned from the BBC, or had a few more children to practice parenthood on, or gone to seminary to become a preacher...

I wonder - is it OK to be only of average quality and not very good at anything at all?

American football coach George Allen noted that "most men succeed because they are determined to". Sure - I'm not giving up yet!

Something inside reminds me that "Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, 'You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.' Disheartened by the saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions."

2 comments:

  1. I think that many people who know you might very well be disheartened by reading this post - "if he, who can do all these things, is only to be counted mediocre - then what does that make me?!!". Which only goes to show that most people can't see how they look to others.

    For my part I would at least venture to claim that you are very much "good enough" for me - and at a great many things besides!

    On the other hand perhaps another way of looking at the same thing is Bree's disillusionment- not quite the great horse he had thought... and yet with the possibility of being after all a very decent sort of horse. I find this very reassuring personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the reference to proud but devastated Bree - so many of our ailments can be put down to pride, or false pride. If only I could be truly content to be who I am: but how does such a statement modify when you take into consideration the requirement to die to self in which case where does the "I am" go to? Thinking around this may become the subject of my next post...

    ReplyDelete