20150615

Does Job fear God for nothing?

I find this accusation made by Satan in the ancient story of Job very poignant. Later in the story Job answers this taunt with "Though he (God) slay me, yet will I trust in him". Sunday School theology teaches us that if you give your heart to the Lord you will be saved. Further analysis of the Bible, and indeed bitter experience, tells me that I cannot necessarily expect anything in return for my supposed allegiance to God.

But this leaves me with a problem. If my faith in God never has any result then how do I know that it is valid or is doing any good? It would be like habitually doing exercise but it never having any effect on one's body. At some point one is likely to throw in the towel and try a different course.

In the parable of the talents the Lord goes away to a "far country" for a "long time" during which his servants are expected to "trade" i.e. make profitable use of what he has given them. When eventually the Lord returns the servant who threw in the towel is "cast into outer darkness" a state which I gather is not to be recommended. Of course anyone who takes this parable seriously will want the commendation "well done, good and faithful servant" - but just how long am I prepared to wait for this?

Perhaps Jesus pre-empted my dichotomy when, talking about the end times, he remarked that only those that endure to the end will be saved and saying of Thomas the doubter (with whom I can identify): Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.

No comments:

Post a Comment