20150421

Baltyboys lake run

I did this route yesterday and so enjoyed it that I decided to repeat today and take my camera. Running past the entrance to Tulfarris hotel, I turn left down a track to the lake and then follow the lakeshore past Baltyboys house and all the way to the Valleymount bridge.

Where the track meets the lake

Before they flooded the valley to make the Blessington Reservoir this track continued on and the tree stumps in my picture would have been trees beside the road. The map below is a composite of the current state and a historic 25" map courtesy of OSI. The red cross marks where I took my photo.

Ordnance Survey Ireland map

Recent weather has deposited a barefoot friendly sandy moraine

Baltyboys house from the rear

Baltyboys bridge

Moanbane and Silsean in the distance

Meg dog loves the water

This stretch has a wide sandy area

The boat club in the distance

Approaching Horseshoe bay

Looking back at Horseshoe bay

"Horseshoe Bay" is my name - the water is usually calmer here and I consider it a safe place to swim (though officially no part of the reservoir is safe for swimming). So I did but soon got out as it is still rather cold.


Spring is here!

A neighbour's farmyard

No comments:

Post a Comment