20141212

Polar Express

The Polar Express

Talking about wonder, a film I greatly enjoyed watching a few Christmas's back was The Polar Express. Why did I enjoy it so? Maybe because it was the first digital film I saw that was anywhere near lifelike. Or because it used the digital medium to such advantage in portraying the children - obviously synthesised and yet embodying real, lovable, hesitantly inquisitive humanity. Or because of the scene in which the train runs off track, a theme I have often dreamt about even before I saw this film. In such dreams I am riding a train careering along roads or even rough tracks across county, whilst I am pondering how the wheel flanges are making out... But then I am a siderodromomaniac.




And of course I liked the hit song I'm wishing on a star...



Towards the end Santa gives the boy a magic bell and the film ends with a twist: the boy, now grown up, says:

"At one time, most of my friends could hear the bell, but as years passed, it felt silent for all of them. Even Sarah found one Christmas that she could no longer hear its sweet sound. Though I've grown old, the bell still rings for me, as it does for all who truly believe."

Which moral could be taken in more ways than one. A number of internet sites suggest that the film might have an overtly Christian message, for example see here or here or here or here or here - and there is even the suggestion that the producers intended it.

I am left wondering... how insignificant can that which our faith hangs on be before we conclude that the object of our faith was but a dream? Blessed are they who have not seen and have believed.

For me, this film is entertainment at its best. Mind you, not all the critics agreed, but then they wouldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment