20140606

70 years since

D-day landing

It is 70 years since the Allied invasion of Normandy in WWII, otherwise known as D-day. I was born in the aftermath of WWII and my only memories were reverence for and shortage of food - bread scraped with butter with the faintest suggestion of fish paste, reverence for tinned "fruit salad" in having to "dilute" it by eating it with bread and butter, special orange juice provided for infants to boost vitamin intake. My father had been based somewhere in North Africa, but he never spoke to us children about the war. I find the subject immensely emotional and it makes me proud to have been "on the right side" even though I now know more about the atrocities that Britain has committed in other departments. Talk to the Irish...

On this anniversary the news is full of the subject but this one particularly took my attention. I honour and applaud the courage in those soldiers and their readiness to die so that I might be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment