20131006

Bike ride and seals

Today I cycled to via Annamoe to Wicklow town, then to Brittas Bay, then back via Rathdrum. Total distance 71.5 miles, maximum speed 41.9 mph. Reason? A free Sunday and reasonable weather possibly the last chance of a long bike ride this year. Destination? I hadn't been to my favourite sea location this year so I thought it was about time I did. And where is that? Possibly Wicklow's closest guarded secret! But I will show some pictures...

Wicklow's closest guarded secret

How many seals can you see?

There was a whole bunch of them just here
 but they took to the water before I could snap them

All except this old codger...

Old codger closeup, growled when I got close

And on the other side of the bay this young chap...

who, it seems, I woke up

and then he humped himself into the sea

Showing the deliciously clear water (and a seal)

More seals
So then I had a short swim. In spite of its proximity to Wicklow town one can usually get away with swimming naked here and so I did, not wanting to get my shorts full of sea water which would cause blisters when cycling. The swim was very short because I was a bit cautious of the very nosey seals.


On the way back to my parked bike

First view of Brittas Bay

Brittas Bay beach
There were too many people at Brittas Bay so I could not swim, not wanting to get my shorts wet, and anyway it had become overcast and a bit chilly. So after a short promenade I ate my lunch and started the long return journey. The climb to Wicklow Gap is long...


1 comment: