20130922

Donadea

Bike ride 44 miles, max 30.5 mph, avg 12.4 mph, destination Donadea forest park via Naas, Clane and Prosperous.  In Naas I followed the Grand Canal and found the Leinster aqueduct.

Grand canal showing Naas branch and Leinster aqueduct


Water reeds in Naas branch

Near the old Odlums Mill

Crossing the Leinster Aqueduct

By the aqueduct, this water is pumped up from the Liffey to feed the canal

The Liffey, looking southwards from the aqueduct
I had my cleated bike shoes on so could not easily explore - I thought of shedding all and fording the canal to check out the pump works, but thought better of it (lots of people about, and people think this sort of activity suspicious or at least foolish). So my next picture is not my own.


The aqueduct itself pasted from here

When I finally got to Donadea I duly ate my crisps and raisin turn-over, and drank my Club orange and then turned back not finding the 'forest park' too interesting... Possibly there might be some interesting parts but I did not have time to explore.

Donadea forest park, a less interesting part

On the way back I took the bog road to Prosperous and stopped by a peat-works with an interesting railway and a pile of waggons in the distance.


Peat-works railway near Prosperous



No comments:

Post a Comment