20130416

Euler



Euler, mathematician par excellence

In spite of what people say, I am not a mathematician. This is evident in that I can't play a decent game of chess. I enjoyed and excelled at O and A level maths but became unstuck at college level with divs and curls and wot-not.  And so I cannot eulogise over Euler as befits him.  A statement attributed to Pierre-Simon Laplace, another master in mathematics, expresses Euler's influence on mathematics: "Read Euler, read Euler, he is the master of us all."

But I do remember my fascination on meeting Euler's famous formula for the first time in PSS days

e^{ix} = \cos x + i\sin x \

which brought together so many threads in the A level maths syllabus - convergent series, imaginary numbers, trigonometry, logarithms and exponentials - just as the diverse characters are in the last chapter of a crime novel.  Substituting  pi for x we have the identity shown in the bottom right of yesterday's Google doodle:


No comments:

Post a Comment